Monday, November 07, 2005

Cables, socks, & thingies?

I finished the blue cable headband thingy (hmmm... this is why knitters come up with clever names for stuff... so they don't call them thingies... who knew?) Anyway I'll post a picture after I block it and the batteries for the camera get charged. I turned out really cute if I do say so myself & I might just have to make more!

I started a new sock this weekend. I'd love to show you a picture of it but it's going to be a Christmas present and I don't want to ruin the surprise. I'll will say it's going pretty fast... despite the fact that I'm using US 1 sized needles. It's my first time with needles so little, I feel like I'm knitting with toothpicks. I did cringe a little at first but after the first few rounds it really wasn't a big deal. It's the same process, the same stitches that I love to make. It just makes them much smaller, no big deal. It's not like using a small hook in crochet, where it takes forever to make any progress. I feel like I'm making these socks at the same rate I made the last pair. See...nothing to fear.

So since I cant' show you pictures of my new socks I'll show you this instead. This is going to be a hat someday. This picture isn't the greatest but it has lots of little cables all over it. I love this hat, it's going to be a fabulous hat... as soon as I figure out a method of cabling that does not drive me completely insane! I've tried J hooks, while they work fine they are terribly tedious to use. Those little crooked/straight cable needles, whatever they're called, I hate them, stitches fall off every time. I've tried cabling without a cable needle which I really like except it only works well with a four stitch cable, more than that it's just as tedious as the J hook. I did recently acquire a short straight needle at Rhinebeck however I am a moron and bought one that is too big and it makes the cables impossibly tight and very difficult to work with. I think that it may be the method of choice however I'll need to buy one of the appropriate size first. Unfortunately only one yarn shop near me sells them and by some bizarre twist of fate she has been closed every time I try to go (this is of course because I am a spaz and continue to forget that she is not there on Sunday's). Or maybe the knitting powers that be just think it's funny... who knows?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?